In ancient times, sweet smelling oils were respected more for medicinal properties than scent, while today the opposite is true. Most of modern society is ignoring the greatest attributes of essential oils–their health-giving properties.
The History of Thieves
Europeans began producing essential oils in the 12th century. During the Plague of the 15th century, certain thieves were able to rob the dead without fear of becoming infected by the terrible disease. After being captured and charged with robbing the dead and dying victims of the plague, the thieves were offered a deal. The magistrate offered them leniency if they would reveal how they managed to avoid contracting the dreaded infection, in spite of their close proximity with the infected corpses. They disclosed that they were perfumers and spice traders, and that they had rubbed themselves with a concoction of aromatic herbs (cinnamon, and clove).
Thieves Blend was found to have a 99.6
percent kill rate against airborne bacteria!
When Ancient Tradition Links with Modern Society: Thieves™ Blend
Fast forward to the 20th century, Young Living Essential Oils begins testing Thieves™ Blend, a proprietary combination of cinnamon, clove and rosemary essential oils for its potent antimicrobial properties. Thieves Blend was found to have a 99.6 percent kill rate against airborne bacteria. According to the Essential Oils Desk Reference (Essential Science Publishing, 2006, p. 125), Studies conducted at Weber State University during 1997 showed the antibacterial effectiveness of this blend against airborne microorganisms.”
Safety and Application:
In the home:
· Diffuse Thieves Essential Oil for 15 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours when there is sickness in the home.
· Put 4-8 drops on a cotton ball and locate on air vents.
· Add 2 drops to a wet cloth and put in clothes dryer.
For the body:
· Apply to bottoms of feet, throat, stomach, or abdomen as protective measure or when first signs of cold appear.
· Dilute 1:15 in vegetable oil and massage over thymus.
· For headaches, put 1 drop on tongue (strong) and push against roof of mouth.
· Dilute 1:15 with vegetable oil for body massage
Possible sun/skin sensitivity. When in doubt, dilute 1 part Thieves Essential Oil to 4 parts vegetable oil.